All of us can agree on the fact that, in order to adapt to the demand of the present era, the modern world has shifted to a digitalized version of itself. All types of business holders prefer to adopt online access and visibility by creating their own websites, through which they can easily grab attention of the audience towards their industry.
This is why, it is mandatory to create an impressive user interface of the website which makes the audience stay on the webpage. This task can be effectively done by using a good and efficient UI Design Pattern.
ui-patterns.com defines these patterns as:
“Design patterns are standard reference points for the experienced user interface designer. [They] provide a common language between designers. “
In general, the UI design patterns are reusable templates for solving complications that the professionals have to face frequently while designing a user interface design. They aid the designers in providing the solutions much faster. Along with that, the patterns also help the users in understanding what to do within an interface.
The UI design Patterns usually consist of four elements:
- The Problem: What the user wants to do
- The Context: When the pattern can be used
- The Solution: The solution of the problem
- The Examples: How the pattern has been implemented somewhere previously
Furthermore, the patterns can be categorized into four main types, according to the functions they will be supporting on the interface:
- Navigation. The patterns falling under this category allow the users to navigate around the user interface.
- Input and output. These patterns tend to cover every interaction the user makes with the application, including form submission, content search and receiving of responses, messages and other notifications.
- Content. This type of patterns is associated with the displaying and organizing of the application content in a user-friendly manner.
- Social Sharing. These UI patterns focus on the how the users can share the content with third parties like social media accounts, emails, etc.
Now, the main question arises; how to use one of these powerful designs?
One cannot directly “plug-n-play” the UI design Patterns. By keeping the problem clearly in one’s mind, the patterns can be taken from one of the many UI design pattern libraries that are available online, and then customized and adapted according to the need.
The examples are provided with each of the patterns and help massively in understanding the usage of the pattern. Hence, these assist the designer in making the correct decision, which is important because the right pattern impressively boosts the user interaction, causing the website and the respective business to gain impressive benefits.
It is significant to keep in mind that the patterns are not features of the website, which one can utilize in their designs. In other words, one cannot gather different bits and pieces of various patterns to create one single, customized pattern. They also cannot be considered as a template for the whole website, because the patterns are rather the multiple foundational bricks of it.
Levels of UI Design Patterns:
UI design patterns are based on three levels of user experience, introduced by Anders Toxboe of Benjamin Interactions. These levels help understand the UI design patterns more clearly, as well as recognize when and how to apply them.
- Level 1: Implementation
The Implementation level refers to the implementation of various design elements in the layout based on each design case. It defines the visual relation between different elements based on a number of patterns that users are already familiar with from other websites.
- Level 2: Flow
The Flow level refers to the navigation, i.e. how users go from one page to another.
- Level 3: Context
The Context level generally depends upon the website category. Using common context patterns allows users to find content easily because they have already encountered a similar pattern before.
Essentials of UI Design Patterns:
Following are the four essentials of UI Design Patterns described, which will elaborate the whole usage more clearly. These points are vital in making a website’s look eye-catching and impressive to the user.
- The content structure should be managed carefully and should be easy to access. The UI Design Patterns help one out to organize the respective content in such a way that it can please the audience on their website. A website is all about attracting the visitors and compelling them to interact with it.
- The UI Design patterns help the users to determine how the website responds to their requests. It allows them to submit their inputs in the form of feedback and decides how the website responds in return.
- The website design should be user friendly so that it can guide the users according to their needs. The UI Design patterns assist in directing the users properly and also in assuring that they find the most efficient way to get the right solution.
- The UI Design Patterns also facilitate the website to become easily promotable on the social media platforms. People can easily select whatever option they are comfortable with, and utilize it to share the content of the website on their respective social media accounts.
All these areas are the real support for a website as they give it the ability to captivate the users by it. This is why they are detailed by UI Design Patterns in the user interface.
It is highly recommended that the business holders attain the services of the best possible designer, who can bring impressive transformations to the website interface.